Tax Guide

 Search  2022 Tax Guide  Tax Tools
 Tax Calendar  Tax Glossary

Form 4684, Casualties and Thefts

If you've suffered the results of a theft, accident, fire, flood, or some other casualty during the year, you may be able to deduct some of your unreimbursed losses.

Casualty losses are treated somewhat differently depending on whether the loss occurred to property used in your trade or business, property used to generate investment income, or property used for personal or family purposes. However, regardless of the type of property, the loss must first be reported on IRS Form 4684.

Form 4684, Casualties and Thefts

Instructions for Form 4684, Casualties and Thefts

The files are in Adobe portable document format (PDF), which requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is available, without charge, at the Adobe website.

For more information, see our discussion of casualty and theft losses.

© 2022 Wolters Kluwer. All Rights Reserved.